Sunday, July 4, 2010

See Stairs, Will Climb...again and again and again

Hello all!

This is Elizabeth, I'm writing the first part of the blog today because Auntie offered and how can I refuse?

Well after reading a lot of these blog posts I've noticed that a good chunk of them say I'm sick, which I was but now I am WORLDS BETTER! It's amazing, I had a touch of food poisoning yesterday and it was no fun at all but today I'm back on my feet (literally) and having a ball.

"North Dakota Noise" is the CD I made for us to listen to in the car as we drove to ND. We listened to it (it's just a bunch of songs that I like), then we listened to Billy Joel and Trace Adkins for most of the way here. I enjoy singing "Honky Tonk Badonky Donk" with Auntie and Mom; it's fun and it helps to kill the time.

After Leaving Watertown we came here to ND and went to BONANZA town! Now... if you're like me and watch too much TV then you probably thought of that old TV show "Bonanza" with Hoss and Little Joe but this town is not that AT ALL. It reminded me of the 1880 town we just visited with a little hint of Pioneer Village (form Nebraska) I was able to take LOTS of photos there today; it's a reconstruction of a town during the North Dakota Homesteading Era (yes, I just asked Auntie to describe that, I had no words for it)

We had Root beer floats there and we were able to learn a lot about North Dakota.
However, we were not thinking before we went there and none of us sunblocked or wore hats so we took in tons of sun which made us feel worn out and done for the day.

We went "home" (hotel home) to a Hampton Inn (where we always are) and Auntie took a nap but I just HAD to get my photos developed. So my mom drove me to Walmart where we developed the photos and shopped a little.

We just finished eating at Oliver Garden (it was FANTASTIC) and now we're back at the hotel and I am writing this to you!

But I'm done now and I'm passing the keyboard to Auntie. Bye Ya'll!

Not too much to add to what Elizabeth has already said, but I did want to include a couple of more comments.

First of all, if you noticed Elizabeth's title, you may be wondering what the title means. The reason for the title is that in every single home or business we visited, we were allowed to climb the stairs into the second story. Lorie and I kept marveling over this, because in the majority of historic homes we have visited over the years, you are never allowed to climb the steep, narrow, creaking staircases. We really enjoyed ourselves. Elizabeth was not quite as enchanted with the idea of climbing the stairs every time -- she found the creaking and the dusty upstairs areas a little disconcerting. However, she climbed with us and took pictures. It is great to have our own "official" photographer.

My second comment is that we happened the visit Bonanzaville on the Fourth of July weekend and they were having a special Bluegrass and Old Time Gospel Music Festival. They had a different bluegrass band every hour, an old fashioned ice cream social, watermelon seed spitting contests, and "tractor pulls" for the children where the children pulled red wagons. They also had people in costume around the town to explain the different homes and businesses and some patriotic actors. One actor was so hot that he had the blue "breeches" of his Benjamin Franklin patriotic outfit rolled up to above his knees. It looked pretty funny.

We are going to try to get to bed early tonight because we want to get on the road earlier tomorrow morning. We are going to see our friend who lives in Minnesota and, since he has tomorrow off, we would like to be able to spend a good part of the day with him. He lives about an hour from Mall of America, which is our next destination. We are going to meet him there. We have about a five hour drive to get there.

Hope you all are doing well. We miss everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment