Tuesday, June 29, 2010

We're All Alone Out Here

Our highlight of today was driving in Eastern Wyoming and into South Dakota without seeing another car for over an hour. We saw more deer than people. It was fun, but it felt a little strange. We drove through one town and the town sign at the start said "Population 1".

So my Aunt is away and I (Elizabeth) have decided to take over this blog for a paragraph or two. We saw LOTS of dead things today, or was it yesterday? I don't know all I do know is that I am not a fan of Wyoming. I much prefer South Dakota, I really don't know why, there is just a different feel in the air. I figured that while I have this moment to type my thoughts away to all of you I'd share a moment of the trip that I love/loved.
Last Night we were driving through Wyoming and it was SUPER dark, so dark that the sky was shining with stars. They shone down on us brilliantly from the sky. I love stars, I always have and I always will, but in CA one doesn't see too many stars. So imagine for a moment the calm humming of the car, "Defying Gravity" by Wicked blasting on the stereo and just gazing up at the magnificent sky. I whipped out my dad's camera to try and capture this rare moment of perfection but apparently the sky is a "subject that is too DARK". Whatever. That moment of amazingness will be burned into my memory forever. I loved it, that was the best part of Wyoming.
Now my wonderful audience I have decided that I do not like blogging. I'll leave that up to Auntie to do. A line from "Live Free Die Hard" pops into my head:

Matthew "Did you just see that?"
McClain "See it? I DID it!"

That's what I feel like, I saw it I did it, why blog it? But it is nice to come back later and re-read everything. My mom is keeping a trip book and whoever rides shotgun has to be the writer of this book. Mom's good at it, Auntie's good at it, me? Not so much. I'd rather just look at it later then write it.

So with those words being said/typed I find that this little time that I have taken over is coming to an end. I really have nothing more to say, and we all can agree that this little time we've had together has been random. So I'm out for now and will return the blog back to Auntie. Eli is out!

Thanks, Eli, for contributing. I asked Lorie if she wanted to write something, but she is exhausted and just wanted to go to bed.

We had a little adventure finding our hotel this evening. Garmen took us to the old Custer Courthouse, which, while we do want to take the museum tour, we don't think it would be a good place to stay. We looked at the web printout and it gave the address we had. We looked at our AAA book and it just said it was on Highway 16 - which we were on. We thought we could call the hotel, but we had no service. So we drove a little ways up Highway 16 - no luck. We came back down and went the exact opposite way Garmen had said to go and - guess what! There it was. When we told the manager who checked us in, he said that ninety percent of the people who come in have the same problem. He said he did not know why the GPS has you turn right instead of left off of SD-89. Oh well, we have a lovely room, with a balcony and a great view of the hills.

This hotel is made to look like a lodge. There is even a waterfall out back which we are going to explore tomorrow.

And, yes, there are other people here. We don't know how they got here, because they were not driving down the same roads we were, but the hotel is full! :)

We are having a great time - driving and stopping whenever we want to. The only drawback right now is that we have every intermittent cell phone reception, so, if you are reading this, and you are used to having us call or text you, just remember that we love you and we will resume contact when we can!

Also, the lack of pictures is due to the fact that the Internet is so slow. I will upload some pictures later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment